Caring & Support
PASTORAL CARE AND VISITATION: CONTACTING THE CHURCH
The Church is here to share in good times and bad. Please call the office with birth announcements, prayer requests, hospital admissions and discharges, or with any other information that would allow us to show care and Christian love.
A TEAM MINISTRY
Our congregational care ministry works from a team model. This team consists of the pastoral staff, other members of our church’s staff, deacons, Stephen Ministers, and other lay volunteers in a variety of caring activities. Associate Pastor Lee Nichols coordinates this ministry.
Our goal is to have an overlapping system of care involving many people in a variety of functions. The names and contact information for the members of our care team are as follows. The church phone number is 412-963-8243, with extensions listed for church staff.
- Chris Taylor, Senior Pastor, Head of Staff, ext. 17
- Lee Nichols, Associate Pastor for Congregational Care, ext. 20
- Ellen Dawson, Director of Membership and Mission, ext. 15
In times of difficulty and crisis contact any of our pastors. Notify the church immediately if there is an emergency. If the office is closed, the telephone message will provide an emergency number. After receiving your message, one of the pastors will contact you as soon as possible.
The healing work of Jesus as recorded in the gospels is the inspiration for those who serve in this ministry. Hospital visits are made by the pastors and Stephen Ministers. They visit and pray with members and friends. Please call the church office to keep us informed of admissions, surgeries, discharges and any special needs. Hospitals no longer inform churches of these and so we rely upon you to let us know. Confidentiality and privacy concerns are honored as requested.
Visiting the Homebound
Pastors are available to visit the homebound and those in a variety of care facilities—nursing homes, rehabilitation facilities, hospice care, assisted living, etc. Pastoral visits may be scheduled upon request. Communion can be taken. Please let us know what would be helpful and appropriate. Stephen Ministry is our primary tool to maintain caring contact over an extended period of time. Because of their other responsibilities, our pastors are limited in this regard. You may request a Stephen Minister for yourself or a loved one who would benefit from continuing and regular contact from the church by contacting Lee Nichols.
Support and Outreach Ministries
- PRAYER: Our church carries on an active ministry of prayer and we invite you to join your prayers with those of many other faithful ones as we raise our joys and concerns to the Lord. If you have a prayer request for yourself or a friend, do not hesitate to contact the church office. The information will be forwarded to the Prayer Ministry and published on our Prayer Concern List. The Prayer Concern List is distributed through daily e-mail and printed for Sunday mornings. We list names of hospitalized members unless instructed otherwise. We ask that prayer requests be renewed on a monthly basis. In deference to confidentiality, if you submit a name for the prayer list, please ask their consent beforehand.
- THE BOARD OF DEACONS: Our Board of Deacons is involved in a number of caring ministries both to members of the church and to the larger community. Deacons prepare letters of care and concern that are signed by the congregation on Sunday mornings. They provide rides for members to worship on Sunday mornings. Deacons provide meals for those in crisis and provide receptions following funerals or memorial services. Deacons collect donated food for distribution to local pantries, supply Christmas gifts to needy families through the Dove Tree program, provide meals for Ronald McDonald House, and engage in many other meaningful outreach ministries.
- STEPHEN MINISTRY: Stephen Ministers walk with people through times of trouble. They are trained to be a caring friend and provide a listening ear to those going through difficult experiences. Those trained as Stephen Ministers go through a fifty-hour training program. Confidentiality, supervision and continuing education are important ingredients. Stephen Ministers multiply the pastoral ministry of our church by visiting on a more regular basis than our pastors can. If you are in need of a Stephen Minister or would like to become a Stephen Minister contact Lee Nichols.
- COUNSELING: Our church serves as a satellite location for Pittsburgh Pastoral Institute (PPI), to provide professional and confidential counseling to members and to the local community. Counseling is available for all individuals, couples and families facing various degrees of need related to marriage, family, grief, relationships, life transitions, as well as other life crises or difficulties. The mission of PPI is to enhance the health of individuals, families and communities through an ecumenical ministry of healing and education that integrates the resources of faith and the behavioral sciences. Costs of services are covered by most major insurance companies. Some financial assistance is available through PPI in cases of hardship or lack of insurance. For more information or to make an appointment with the counselor, contact the Pittsburgh Pastoral Institute at 412-661-1239.
- PEDIATRIC PALLIATIVE CARE COALITION: Pediatric Palliative Care Coalition (PPCC) is a volunteer, statewide coalition that was formed in 2004 as the Jubilee Mission Project of FCPC. Through an extensive network of families, volunteers and medical professionals across the state, PPCC works to bring people together to provide resources for those caring for children with life limiting illness. For more information, contact Betsy Hawley.
- SUPPORT AND WELLNESS GROUPS
Alcoholics Anonymous: All who struggle with alcohol and substance abuse are invited to attend. The group meets in the church lounge, every Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
- ADULT CHILDREN OF ALCOHOLICS: Adult Children of Alcoholics are encouraged to attend this support and informational meeting. The group meets on Thursdays at 7:00 p.m. in the church library.