- COOK & SERVE AT CIRCLES DINNERS - FCPC members serve a meal at Roots of Faith Ministry Center once a month, which takes place at one of the weekly meetings of the Circles Anti-Poverty Campaign. We are looking for volunteers to provide a side dish or dessert, and come with a small group of folks from our congregation to serve the meal at Roots of Faith, located in Sharpsburg (about 20 minutes from the church). The Circles Dinners are served on Tuesdays, and the FCPC group is there from 5:30pm - approximately 7:00pm. Please contact Ann Boyd (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to sign up.
- DELIVER DONUTS TO HOMELESS SHELTERS - Several times a month, we deliver leftover donuts and bread to ministries in the Pittsburgh area. If you are available from 3pm - 5:00pm on a Sunday afternoon, this job is for you! Pickup is at Oakmont Bakery at 3:00pm. They will load your car with goodies, and then just follow the directions to EECM, Alpha House, and Light of Life. Contact David Patterson (email@example.com) to sign up for an upcoming Sunday. He will provide you with instructions and directions.
- PACK BACKPACKS FOR HUNGER - Our congregation has several volunteers who compile donations and pack backpacks every month. This is all a part of the Backpack for Hunger program -- Kerr & Hartwood Elementary Schools in Fox Chapel started this program to assist families in need with food for their children over the weekends. Packing usually takes place on Monday morning. If you would like to help, please contact Shannon Watters or Bonnie Demotte.
- SAVE YOUR BOX TOPS - Help out Pittsburgh Urban Christian School (PUCS) by clipping and saving the Boxtops for Education! You can bring them by the church (put in envelope for Rev. Ellen Dawson, marked "PUCS") or mail them directly to: PUCS 80 Center Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15221
- TUTORS AND READING PARTNERS NEEDED - Pittsburgh Urban Christian School (PUCS) needs tutors for all subjects. They are also looking for "reading partners," who sit and read with students who need the practice, grades K-8. If you would like to do either of these, please contact PUCS Development Director, Bea Thomas at (412) 244-1779 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HAVE YOUR BUSINESS ENROLL IN THE EITC/OSTC CORPORATE GIFT PROGRAM - The Pennsylvania Educational Improvement Tax Credit ( PA EITC ) program and the Pennsylvania Opportunity Scholarship Tax Credit (PA OSTC) program allow businesses in the Commonwealth to earn a tax credit for up to 90 percent of Pennsylvania taxes when they make a donation to a “scholarship organization,” a special category under the PA state tax code. A gift to a scholarship program at PUCS can result in a substantial tax credit for your business and a generous blessing to students and families. You can talk to Bea Thomas at (412) 244-1779 or email her at email@example.com.
- TUTOR KIDS IN GRADES 8-12 - One of our mission partners, The Neighborhood Academy, located in East Liberty, is in need of tutors to give guidance and support while they are in the Math Lab and Writing Center. Volunteers are needed one evening a week for a term (3 months), from 5:30-7:00pm, Monday-Thursday nights. Math tutors are also needed on Saturdays from 10:30am-12:00pm and M-F from 12:20-1:00pm. Contact Rachael Dittmar at 412-362-2001 x134 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- COOK & SERVE A MEAL TO STUDENTS - The Neighborhood Academy has students for 12 hours a day, and they serve 3 meals, making it one of their largest operating costs. You can sign up to prepare or purchase and serve a homemade dinner or lunch! Simple, sample menus and guidelines are available. They need teams of 4-6 people to serve once a month or once a semester. Lunch is from 11:40am-12:20pm M-F; Dinner is from 7:00-7:30pm M-F. The Neighborhood Academy is located in East Liberty. To sign up your team or if you have questions, contact Cas at email@example.com.
- DONATE SCHOOL SUPPLIES - Host a drive in your neighborhood or with your friends! The Neighborhood Academy is always in need of: new or gently used blue blazers, uniform khakis and skirts (khaki or navy), TI-83 graphing calculators ($90/each), Dry Erase markers, Highlighters, Packs of lined ruled paper, Card stock, Copy paper, Glue sticks, White out, Scissors, Tape dispensers, and Hand sanitizer. They are also looking for sponsors to pay for 3 Memberships to IXL Math interactive website ($250 for an annual class membership). Contact Rachael Dittmar at 412-362-2001 x134 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DONATE BOOKS OR MEDICAL ITEMS - Brother's Brother Foundation serves people around the world! A pair of crutches, used books, and any unopened medical supplies (such as gloves, surgical masks, etc.) are needed. "Before dropping off donations, arranging a pick-up or mailing a donation, please take a moment to review BBF’s donation guidelines. All donations must be pre-approved." Here is a link to their guidlines: www.brothersbrother.org/giving-donations/
- PROVIDE A FEW HOURS OF FUN - The Sojourner House is always looking for fun activities for their female residents and older teens. Friday and Saturday nights can be boring -- so why not get a group together to provide them with a movie night (complete with popcorn), game night (bring board games), pampering (manicures), or Bingo!? If you are interested in bringing smiles to these women's faces, please contact Rev. Ellen Dawson or Julie O'Shaughnessy.
- CHECK ITEMS OFF A WISH LIST - The Sojourner House provides compassionate, faith-based residential recovery services to mothers and children in the Pittsburgh area. Go to this link to see what is on their WISH LIST - you can purchase the items through Amazon.com, or consider buying items for the women...items like hairdryers, feminine hygiene products, and household goods.
- RAISE MONEY FOR MISSIONS - The FCPC Harvest Fair needs you! We welcome anyone with some free time to help us. We have already received lots of donations, so please don't hesitate to come clean, price, and sort the donated items. We have lots of fun! Check out the Harvest Fair Page for more information.
Ways to Serve
At Fox Chapel Presbyterian Church, there are so many ways for you to get involved with hands-on service! We want to do all we can to encourage our members to use their gifts, skills, and experience to serve in Christ's name in our community and around the world. Here are the opportunities for you. Just check out the description and then email or call the contact person to get you signed up to help!